Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Need for Accountability

Who keeps you accountable? Maybe your first response is your spouse. What about at work? Who is providing you with accountability? Who is keeping you focused and on target with the things you say you will do or the things you want to do? It is a critical role. Every professional athlete has a coach and one of their key roles is accountability. Can Tiger Woods hit a golf ball? Of course he can. Will he occassionally cut a practice short or hit a few less practice balls? Of course he would if someone wasn't providing accountability.

I chuckle when a business owner says that his team makes him accountable. I chuckle because when I ask the team, typically they say they have no power to hold the president/owner accountable because he's the boss. One of the things I absolutely encourage is to find someone to be an accountability source for you. I have a friend that holds me accountable to my vacation planning. I have a personal trainer creating accountability for workouts and health. I have a business coach (www.evolvebusinessgroup.com/coaching) for my strategic planning and accountability of our corporate performance. Without these people I would be less vacationed, more stressed, fatter and wouldn't have the professional success I do.

Whether it be family, friends, co-workers, a business coach or mentor ... find someone to create accountability and help you plan out each area of your life. Let them help you ensure success in all aspects of your life.

No comments: