Wednesday, April 22, 2009

You are NOT your business

I was talking with my girlfriend over the weekend and I said, I had not paid the utility bill. She said, I thought we had. I responded, no for one of the restaurants. She said, did you know you always talk about your businesses in the first person?

It was a moment of realization. For a guy that is constantly telling people that their business is a separate entity I had fallen into the same trap of thinking of my business as me. But it's not! She went on to say ... and this is the bad part, that when something good happens in one of your businesses you say its the business. When something bad happens or something gets missed you reference it in the first person. Wow, what an insight into a mindset.

So I am telling me and all the other business owners out there - while loving your business is important and caring for it is critical; it is not you. The same way you separate the accounts and operations (home versus office) you need to mentally separate the business from you. A perfect goal it to grow the business and structure its operations so that it runs without you (that's what our coaching programs are for). Then if you can be absent the business is clearly it is own entity and liveblood. Unfortunately, this separation needs to start between your ears. It needs to begin with recognition of its operation outside of you.

So I am catching my language when talking about all my companies - they are not me. With a little help from my girlfriend as an accountability coach, it will be even easier :o)

No comments: